[phpBB] Discussion about 'multisite'

J.M.Roth jmroth at iip.lu
Wed Mar 10 00:14:34 CET 2010

As noted in #437836 I'm asking for developer feedback here.
(I'm not sure if the bugtracker is the right place for that.)

== What does upstream say? ==

I was just wondering: what does upstream have to say to this?
(I mean this kind of multi-site support)

I googled this quickly and found several opinions:
- install a package for each site/webspace one wishes to use it in
- install one board and do the rest with the board's permissions (if at
all possible)
- turn caching off

Wouldn't they want to have this?

== Issue: upgrade of additional boards! ==

I also had a second thought which might fix #440405.

Indeed this is more or less required, or how would people with
additional boards be able to upgrade when even newer versions are released?

We could at least include the install folder with a random suffix, e.g.
install.5Tp7Jg and hope this will not be a source for brute force
attempts to access that folder.

That is, if there is no possibility at all of automating these upgrades,
e.g. using dbconfig, which could ask for the DB admin password and a
list of all the sites somewhere in /etc/phpbb3 so that our upgrade
script would know what to do, or so... (fantasizing for now)

== Permissions req'd for multiboard ==

Is anything speaking against what I proposed in #447542, i.e. setting
the dirs in /var/lib to 1753 (i.e. rwxr-x-wt, root:www-data).

That would make the additional sites easier to setup (less steps).
Or should this directory creation be combined with the problem above by
maybe creating a script to give the system new info about the new site:
- database name
- database prefix
- site name = cache folder path etc.

JM